Did you know that April 1, 2010 is Census day? Do you know how important it is for all St. Louisans to complete their Census packet in the early spring of 2010?
As a group, the Metropolis Steering Committe voted to openly support the 2010 Census. Metropolis will be actively working with the Census organization to raise awareness of the program. We feel that the government’s ongoing efforts to count the population in order to determine how/where our funds are spent is directly related to our ongoing mission, which is to help make the City of St. Louis a place where young people want to work, live and spend their time. Accurate information given will allow the government to see where our constituents need financial assistance…more money can help lead St. Louis in the right direction!
Here’s how we plan to get involved:
• From June 30 to the April 1, 2010 Census Day, Metropolis will have a link to the Census bureau’s website posted on our home page. Here, our members can visit the official Census site and get specific questions answered about the census and download forms for their use.
• We are inviting a 2010 Census representative to speak at an upcoming forum in October. The main topic of this panel will be “Important St. Louis Issues for 2010”. At the forum, a representative from the Census can spend 20-30 minutes with Metropolis St. Louis members to tell us why the Census is important, clear up any negative misconceptions about the Census and answer questions about the process itself.
• There will be a 2010 Census booth at the upcoming LOT music festival, giving away bags, pens and important information about Census Day on April 1, 2010.
• From November 2009 -April 1, 2010, we will add a monthly reminder to our Metropolist online newsletter, asking our members to fill out their Census paperwork.
• Last, but not least– t-shirts! What’s a campaign without cool tees? We have St. Louis artist Jason Potter working on a design for a Metropolis/2010 Census shirt that will be given away at the LOT festival and at the forum in October.
If you or any of your friends want to find out more about how to get involved with the 2010 Census or want to help us plan the forum in October, please contact Abby Schwarz: firstname.lastname@example.org, Chris LeBeau: email@example.com or Sandy Aubuchon: firstname.lastname@example.org